Frequently Asked Questions

Home » FAQ’s

Before you apply to be considered for an award, please check the following carefully. You can also save your application and come back to it at any time:

Am I Eligible?

What criteria do I need to meet?

Please check on whether you are eligible.  You can check your eligibility more fully by clicking on the ‘Check Eligibility’ heading at the top of the page.

  • You must have been resident in Glasgow for five years continuously prior to making you application i.e. Glasgow as your main place of residence
  • You must not have moved to Glasgow solely for the purpose of study
  • Your postcode must fall in the defined Glasgow boundary used by the Trust
  • You are one of the categories of people who can apply as per the ‘Who Can Apply’ section
  • Your course cannot already have started when applying

How do I apply?

All applications are submitted online.  Applicants must meet the eligibility criteria before an application can be made. 

When should I apply?

The Glasgow Educational and Marshall Trust Committee meets four times a year: in March, June, September and December.  You should make an application (after you check your eligibility) at these times: 

Please note that your academic year should not already have started.

Trust Meetings Applications due by
March 15 February
June 15 May
September 08 August
December 08 November

I haven’t lived in Glasgow for the last 5 years, but I was born here. Can I apply?

No.  The Trust criteria states that applicants must have lived in Glasgow continuously for at least 5 years before making their application (as their main place of residence).  Applicants must not have moved to Glasgow for study purposes.  A residential status check will be carried out by the Trust covering the last 5 years.  So, if you were born in Glasgow, lived there for 5 years and then moved away you will not be eligible to apply.    

I’m not studying in Glasgow. Can I apply?

Yes, you can.  However, the Glasgow residency requirements remain.

I’ve applied for support from other sources. Do I need to provide evidence to the Trust if I’ve been successful?

The Trust will require you to provide evidence of your fee costs and how you have met that cost.  This should highlight if other funders have supported your costs.

Can I apply for an award before I’ve been offered a place?

You should only apply for an award if you have some proof of enrolment that you have been accepted on to a course.  This can include conditional acceptance.  However, you will have to provide evidence that you have been fully accepted onto a course at a later stage before any award can be released.  

My course has already started. Can I apply for an award?

No.  You cannot apply to the Trust for support for the current academic year if your course has already started.  You can, however, apply for support for the next academic year if that is relevant.  Please check the website for the application submission deadlines.  

You ask for two references. Who can I approach to be my referees?

For those undertaking academic courses, the Trust expects you to provide contact details of two referees.

  • one must be an academic referee
  • the second, either another academic referee or a professional/personal referee.  

For those undertaking vocational courses, you might want to 

  • contact your current or previous employer to be one referee, 
  • contact a personal referee or your course leader as your second referee.  

Your referees will be contacted directly by the Trust where they will receive a link to a short online Reference Form which they will have to complete.  Applicants should note that their application can only move to the next stages once references have been received in this way.  Please note that your personal referee cannot be yourself, a family member, ex-partner or current partner.  Also, you cannot use your own email address as a referee contact e-mail address.  

How will you let me know if my application is successful?

You will be informed by email with a decision following a Trust Committee meeting.

Why was my application rejected?

Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to provide feedback as to why individual applications may have been rejected.

Category questions

I’m a Postgraduate student. What will you support?

The Trust can help meet the costs of your course fees up to a maximum of £1,650.  An award can also help with the costs of books and materials for your course, and with your everyday travel costs to and from your place of study.  Alongside fees and materials, an award can also contribute to your living expenses, and can help with childcare costs.

I’m a Mature Student. What will you support?

The Trust can help meet the costs of your course fees up to a maximum of £1650.  An award can also help with the costs of books and materials for your course, and with your everyday travel costs to and from your place of study.  Alongside fees and materials, an award can also contribute to your living expenses, and can help with childcare costs.

I’m interested in taking a vocational course. What can the Trust help me fund?

The Trust can help meet the costs of your course fees.  Support can be provided for accredited courses only.  Awards are generally paid directly to your course provider. 

I’m a student of the Arts, Music and/or Drama. What can the Trust help me with?

The Trust can help meet the costs of your course fees and some other costs associated with your studies up to a maximum of £1,650.  This can include the costs of materials you need for your course, to help buy any instruments or specialist equipment, and/or help with childcare costs whilst you are studying.

I want to find out about support for a school trip. How can the Trust help?

Financial support is available for schools to allocate towards transport costs. The Trust will require confirmation prior to considering an application that 50% of the costs have been secured. The maximum grant available is £1,000. Please click here to view the application form. 

General Questions

I’ve made an application, but I want to change my course. What do I do?

If you change your course, you will be required to submit a new application for consideration by the Trust.  Your current application will be voided. 

What happens if there’s a delay in starting my course?

You must inform us of any delay in starting your course.  This may in turn mean a delay in awarding your award.

Why am I having difficulty in uploading my documents?

There may be compatibility issues with the particular browser you are using.  Please try again using another browser.  Note that if you are a Mac user, there may be an issue with file extensions.  Please rename the file and remove the pdf extension.  If you continue to have problems, please take a screenshot and inform the Trust using our online form.

I’ve had a previous award from you. Can I apply again?

Yes, you can apply for the duration of your studies e.g. if you are on a 2 year postgraduate course, you can have an award covering both years.  You will have to apply annually on the dates set by the Trust, to be considered for any further awards. 

I’m due to start the Final year of my Four-Year course. Can I apply for an award for my final year if I meet the criteria?

Yes, you can apply for support for any academic year of your course providing the academic year has not yet started.  In this particular case, you would not receive any support for your Third Year if you are applying when that year has already started.  You can however apply for support for your final year.  Please check the website for application submission dates. 

If you can’t fund me, can anyone else help?

Your College or University may be able to provide information on other possible funding sources, either internal or external.  You may also wish to visit the SAAS website which also provides useful funding information for students, or carry out an internet search.

I need help completing my application

Please ensure you read the relevant FAQS and look carefully over the website as this should cover the information you need before you decide to make an application.

How do I know if my application’s been received?

You will receive an email to tell you the Trust has received your application.  Please ensure you check your inbox and spam for this email. 


How do I contact you?

Please use our online contact form.  You will hear back from the Trust within 3 working days.  

How will you contact me?

We may call or text you on occasion, but generally we will email you.